Time to cuddle up to some noodle bowls!
· 1 teaspoon coconut oil
· 3 teaspoons freshly grated ginger root
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
· 4 to 6 cups vegetable, chicken or beef stock
· 1 (8 ounce) package rice noodles
· 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms
· 2 carrots, shaved with a vegetable peeler
· 1 red bell pepper, sliced
· ½ cup snow peas
· ½ english cucumber, peeled and sliced
· 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
· 3 tablespoons peanuts, chopped
· 1 to 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, for drizzling
· chili garlic sauce, for drizzling
· fresh cilantro, chopped or torn
· fresh mint leaves, chopped or torn
1. The broth: Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat and add the coconut oil. Add in the ginger, garlic and scallions and cook for 1 minute. Pour the stock in the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce it to low heat and cover. Let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes while you prep the rest of the ingredients
2. The rice noodles: I take a large bowl and put the dry noodles in the bowl. I cover the noodles with very hot water (not boiling, but as hot as my tap will allow!) by at least 2 inches, then I cover the bowl with a towel. After 15 to 20 minutes, the noodles should be tender.
3. If you’d like to cook the shiitakes: I heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add a teaspoon of coconut oil. Add the mushrooms and stir. Cook until they are soft and juicy, stirring occasionally, about 6 to 8 minutes. Season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.